Your local pharmacy can provide expert and confidential advice regarding your minor illnesses. They specialise in medicines and treatment for minor illness for approximately 5 years, so they should be your go-to when suffering with a minor illness, not your GP.
Pharmacists can help you treat several minor illnesses, including:
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Runny nose
- Headache flu-like symptoms
Your pharmacist can also help you with lots of other things you may not realise, which could save a GP appointment for someone who needs it. This includes:
- Give advice on medication and whether you need to see your GP
- Help you manage certain long-term conditions
- Dispense medicine when you give them your prescription
- Dispense repeat prescriptions without the need to visit your GP
- Give sexual health and contraception advice
Whilst at your pharmacy, it’s a good idea to stock up on basic necessities for your medicines cabinet at home, to help you treat minor illnesses with self-care. It would cost approximately only £10 to completely fill your medicine cabinet with everything you’d need.